Arizona Secretary of State - Michele Reagan

Arizona Secretary of State Logo Arizona's Official Web Site

Question: Where do I file my partnership?
  • Answer: The Office of the Secretary of State is the centralized filing office for limited partnerships in the State of Arizona. Filings are accepted Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at our Customer Service Center located in the first floor of the Executive Tower of the State Capitol at 1700 W. Washington, between Jefferson and Adams. Filings are accepted by mail at:

    Secretary of State
    Attention: Limited Partnerships
    1700 W. Washington Street, 7th Floor
    Phoenix, AZ 85007

    Please submit all filings in duplicate with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Question: How may I determine whether my partnership name is available?

  • Answer: You may conduct a preliminary search of name availability online at by using the tradename and partnership name search mechanism. Please carefully read the search instructions prior to performing any search. Remember that you are searching availability against a state-wide database, and your name must be distinctive from previous registrations. You may also use the search mechanism to determine if your filing has been entered into the database once the filing is submitted to this office.

Question: What is the difference between the types of partnerships?

  • Answer: The difference is the varying degrees of the partner's liability; however, this question and others should be referred to legal counsel. The Office of the Secretary of State is a filing agency, and customer service representatives are not authorized to interpret State statutes. You may also wish to review the applicable statutes within the text of this booklet.

Question: What partnerships are required to file annual reports and when are they due?

  • Answer: All partnerships containing the word "liability" are required to file an annual report. These reports are for the preceding year and due between January 1st and April 30th. A report for the year 2000 is due between January 1st, 2001 and April 30th, 2001. The filing fee for an Annual Report is $3.00.

Question: Is it necessary to file the entire partnership agreement?

  • Answer: The statutorily required information is contained within the forms contained in this booklet. You may submit the partnership agreement attached to your filing for the public record.

Question: What partnerships are required to "publish" and submit an "Affidavit of Publication?"

  • Answer: All partnerships containing the word "liability" within sixty days after filing with the Secretary of State, shall file a statement of qualification and publish in a newspaper of general circulation for three consecutive publications a copy of their statement of qualification. The statement must be published in the county of the limited liability partnership's chief executive office. If the limited liability partnership's chief executive office is not located in this state, file in the county of the limited liability partnership's office in this state, or if none of the above, file in the county of the limited liability company's statutory agent. An affidavit evidencing publication shall be filed with the Secretary of State within ninety days after the filing of the statement of qualification. The filing fee for the affidavit is $3.00.

Question: Who may be listed as the "agent for service of process?"

  • Answer: ARS § 29-304 states "an agent for service of process on the limited partnership shall be an individual resident of this state, a domestic corporation or a foreign corporation authorized to do business in this state. The statutory agent of a limited partnership may resign as agent by delivering a written notice to the Secretary of State and mailing a copy of the notice to the partnership at its last known address. The appointment of the agent terminates thirty days after receipt of the notice by the Secretary of State or on the appointment of a new statutory agent, whichever occurs first.