History - Then
On Feb. 26, 1885, House Bill 164, "An Act to Establish a Normal School in the Territory of Arizona," was introduced in the 13th Legislative Assembly of Arizona Territory by John Samuel Armstrong.
The bill, strongly supported by Charles Trumbull Hayden of Tempe, Ariz. passed the House on March 6 and the Council on March 11 and was signed by Governor F. A. Tritle on March 12, 1885, thereby founding the institution known today as Arizona State University.
Under the supervision of Principal Hiram Bradford Farmer, instruction was instituted on Feb. 8, 1886, when 33 students met in a single room on land donated by George and Martha Wilson of Tempe.
History - Today
In addition to the historic campus in Tempe, a college town in the midst of a dynamic metropolitan region, the university comprises three newer campuses with more specialized missions: ASU's West campus, in northwest Phoenix adjacent to Glendale, and ASU's East campus, a polytechnic college, in Mesa.
In August 2006, ASU's extended campus opened in downtown Phoenix offering academic programs and professional certificate programs.