Superintendent of Public Instruction
Arizona Constitution - Article 11, Section 2. Conduct and supervision of school system.
Section 2. The general conduct and supervision of the public school system shall be vested in a state board of education, a state superintendent of public instruction, county school superintendents, and such governing boards for the state institutions as may be provided by law.
A.R.S. § 15-231. Department of education
A. There is created a department of education.
B. The department shall be administered through:
1. The state board of education which shall be the policy determining body of the department.
2. The superintendent of public instruction in whom all executive, administrative and ministerial functions of the department are vested and who is the executive officer of the State Board of Education.
C. In addition to any divisions established by law, the superintendent of public instruction may establish such divisions as in the judgment of the superintendent of public instruction are necessary for the proper transaction of the business of the department.
D. The department shall be conducted under the control of the superintendent of public instruction.
Arizona Constitution Article 11. Section 4. State superintendent of public instruction; board membership; powers and duties
Section 4. The state superintendent of public instruction shall be a member, and secretary, of the state board of education, and, ex officio, a member of any other board having control of public instruction in any state institution. His powers and duties shall be prescribed by law.
A.R.S. § 15-251. Powers and duties
The superintendent of public instruction shall:
1. Superintend the schools of this state.
2. Request the auditor general to investigate when necessary the accounts of school monies kept by any state, county or district officer.
3. Subject to supervision by the state board of education, apportion to the several counties the monies to which each county is entitled for the year. Apportionment shall be made as provided in Chapter 9 of this title.
4. Direct the work of all employees of the board who shall be employees of the department of education.
5. Execute, under the direction of the state board of education, the policies which have been decided upon by the state board.
6. Direct the performance of executive, administrative or ministerial functions by the department of education or divisions or employees thereof.