Primary Election Notes ~ Final Update for Primary Election
How many ballots are left to be counted?
None. As of Tuesday evening, Arizona counties have completed their processing of ballots for the 2010 Primary Election.
OK, so when will we have final, unofficial vote totals?
Final, unofficial results are available NOW and displayed at www.azsos.gov. A state canvass to certify official election results for federal, statewide and legislative races is scheduled for Sept. 7.
State law reads as follows:
16-661. Automatic recount; requirements; exemption
A. A recount of the vote is required when the canvass of returns in a primary or general election shows that the margin between the two candidates receiving the greatest number of votes for a particular office, or between the number of votes cast for and against initiated or referred measures or proposals to amend the Constitution of Arizona, is less than or equal to the lesser of the following:
1. One-tenth of one per cent of the number of votes cast for both such candidates or upon such measures or proposals.
2. Two hundred votes in the case of an office to be filled by state electors and for which the total number of votes cast is more than twenty-five thousand.
3. Fifty votes in the case of an office to be filled by state electors and for which the total number of votes cast is twenty-five thousand or less.
4. Two hundred votes in the case of an initiated or referred measure or proposal to amend the constitution.
5. Fifty votes in the case of a member of the legislature.
We anticipate no recounts in any state or legislative races.