If you are travelling overseas, or sending documents for use in a foreign country, you may be required to have the documents certified by our office. Depending on the country requesting the certificate, that certification may be called an “Apostille” or a certificate of “Authentication”.
An “apostille” or a certificate of “authentication” is issued to certify an Arizona notary public, court clerk, or state document custodian to a foreign country. These certifications have been adopted internationally by the Hague Convention (PDF) as a uniform way of verifying documents sent between countries.
What to File
Documents to File: Apostille/Certification of Authentication Request (PDF) & original notarized or certified recorded document
Filing Fee: $3 per document. Checks and money orders can be made out to, "Arizona Secretary of State." Please do not send cash by mail. We recommend paying with cash for in-person filings only.
Processing Time: 5 days (by mail); in-person requests are processed immediately over the counter.
- Submit these four items:
- We must receive an original notarized or certified recorded document. A photocopy is unacceptable.
- Apostille/Certificate of Authentication Request form (PDF)
- $3 fee per document
- For all mailed requests, return postage is required. We recommend a service that can be tracked to ensure its return to you.
- Any requests going to Puerto Rico or any U.S. territory need a “notarial capacity certificate” and the requestor will pay an $18 fee.
- Don’t send documents recorded by another state. The state that produced the document needs to certify it (I.E. a birth certificate from Nevada needs to be certified by the Nevada Secretary of State’s office). Documents returned by other states will be returned to you.
- We do not issue electronic apostilles.
- If you have any questions, please call us at 602-542-6187 or 1-800-458-5842 or email us.
Where to File
Filing By Mail
Secretary of State
Attn: Apostille Dept.
1700 W. Washington Street, Fl. 7
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2808
In-Person Filing - Phoenix Office
State Capitol Executive Tower
1700 W. Washington Street
In-Person Filing - Tucson Office
Arizona State Complex Building
400 West Congress
First Floor, Suite 141