For Immediate Release
December 20, 2004
For more information, contact Kevin Tyne at 602-542-0681.
of State Brewer Releases Voting Action Plan
Public is Encouraged to Comment on Plan
– Secretary of State Jan Brewer announced today the release of the
Voting Action Plan. The Brewer
Voting Action Plan represents a one-year statewide evaluation
and review of Arizona's election and voting processes. Secretary Brewer
kicked off the effort in December of 2003 to address the local and nationwide
concerns with election processes and technology. The assessment focused
on election technology, policies, procedures, and security and resulted
in many findings. The findings and subsequent analysis led to nine areas
of recommendations, which include:
Improving election operational procedures to ensure fair and accurate
· Increasing security procedures to raise the public confidence
· Requiring a voter verified paper ballot for all types of voting
systems used in Arizona.
· Increasing the sharing of information and lessons learned.
· Providing formal security awareness information, training,
education, and procedures within the election workforce.
· Strengthening current State certification policies and standards
for voting equipment and software to increase verifiability and transparency
in the election process.
· Implementing standards and recommendations from the Election
· Modernizing election equipment and software.
· Enhancing the statewide voter registration system and processes
release of the Brewer
Voting Action Plan is part of my ongoing commitment to ensure
integrity in our election process. I look forward to working with interested
groups, legislators, county and local election officials, and the public
in general in implementing these recommendations," Secretary Brewer
The Action Plan
is available for a 30-day public review before it is finalized by the
Secretary of State’s Office. Comments will be taken through January
20, 2005. Copies of the plan are available at the Secretary of State’s
Web site, www.azsos.gov or by calling
the Election Services Division at 602-542-8683, statewide 1-877-THE VOTE.
Most of the recommendations in the plan will be implemented in time for
the 2006 Federal Elections.
Secretary Brewer continued, "Arizona has been a leader in the implementation
of the Help America Vote Act. This Action Plan is Arizona's next
step in ensuring that Arizona elections are as fair, transparent, consistent,
and secure as possible."
- 30 -