With the onset of referendum season, the Secretary of State’s office is extending its innovative approach to processing petitions for the 2017-2018 election cycle. Effective Friday, May 5th, applicants for a referendum petition will be advised to follow the steps outlined at https://www.azsos.gov/elections/initiative-referendum-and-recall:
1. Form a political committee through the Secretary of State's online system, or be prepared to designate an existing (non-candidate) political committee to act as the petition sponsor.
2. File an Application for Serial Number with the Secretary of State’s Office.
3. Acquire the new referendum petition in-person from the Secretary of State's Office.
4. Ensure any paid or out-of-state circulators have registered with the Secretary of State's Office, reviewed the Secretary of State’s training materials, and obtained a circulator ID number.
5. Circulate petitions and obtain signatures from eligible voters.
6. Submit circulated petitions to the Secretary of State’s Office no later than 90 days after sine die adjournment of the legislative session.
By utilizing these updated processes, referendum groups and the general public should expect petition results faster than ever before.
New applications for referenda petitions will posted at http://apps.azsos.gov/election/2018/general/initiatives.htm on a same day basis.