Current Applications for the 2018 General Election
Preparing an Initiative, Referendum or Recall
- Form a political committee through the Secretary of State's online system, or be prepared to designate an existing (non-candidate) political committee to act as the petition sponsor.
- File an Application for Serial Number with the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Acquire the appropriate initiative, referendum, or recall petition in-person from the Secretary of State's Office.
- Ensure any paid or out-of-state circulators have registered with the Secretary of State's Office.
- Circulate petitions and obtain signatures from eligible voters.
- Submit circulated petitions to the Secretary of State’s Office by the statutory deadline.
- The Secretary of State and various County Recorders will process the petitions and determine whether enough signatures were gathered to place the measure on the ballot.