Button for search lobbyist records button for electronic lobbyist filing

Lobbyist Handbook (PDF)


Who has to register?

Principal – Any person, other than a public body, that employs, retains, engages or uses, with or without compensation, a lobbyist. A Principal also includes any subsidiary of a corporation. (Re-registration period closed on Jan 9, 2017)

Public Body – The Arizona board of regents, a university under the jurisdiction of the Arizona board of regents, the judicial department, any state agency, board, commission or council, any county, any county elected officer who elects to appoint a designated public lobbyist or any city, town, district or other political subdivision of this state that receives and uses tax revenues and that employs, retains, engages or uses, with or without compensation a designated public lobbyist or authorized public lobbyist. (Re-registration period closed on Jan 9, 2017)

Designated Lobbyist or Designated Public Lobbyist – The Secretary of State’s “point of contact” who is required to file a lobbyist registration form at the same time as the Principal/Public Body registration, unless the lobbyist is already registered. The DL/DPL can be an individual or a firm whose primary professional function is lobbying in Arizona. (Re-registration Period: Dec 1, 2017 – Jan 8, 2018)

Lobbyist for Compensation – May be an individual or business/firm that is compensated by the Principal and/or Public Body and whose primary job responsibility is to lobby in Arizona for a Principal and/or Public Body. A lobbyist for Compensation must register with the Secretary of State’s office. (Re-registration Period: Dec 1, 2017 – Jan 8, 2018)

Expenditure Reporting

What has to be reported?

  • A payment, distribution, loan, advance, deposit or gift of money or anything of value. This includes a contract, promise or agreement, whether or not legally enforceable, that provides a benefit to an individual state officer or state employee and is incurred by or on behalf of one or more Principal/Public Body or lobbyist.
  • Expenditures that are either properly reported or exempt from reporting for:
    • A speaking engagement
    • Food or beverages
    • Travel and lodging
    • Flowers
  • Expenses relating to a special event or function to which all members of the legislature, either house of the legislature or any committee of the legislature are invited.

Who has to file a Quarterly Expense Report?

  • Designated Lobbyist/Designated Public Lobbyist
  • Lobbyist for Compensation

Expenditure Reports are due at the end of each quarter:




1st Qtr Expenditure Report

Jan 1, 2018 through Mar 31, 2018

Apr 1, 2018 and Apr 30, 2018

2nd Qtr Expenditure Report

Apr 1, 2018 through Jun 30, 2018

Jul 1, 2018 and Jul 31, 2018

3rd Qtr Expenditure Report

Jul 1, 2018 through Sep 30, 2018

Oct 1, 2018 and Oct 31, 2018

4th Qtr Expenditure Report

Oct 1, 2018 through Dec 31, 2018

Jan 1, 2019 and Jan 31 2019

Who has to file an Annual Expense Report?

Principal/Public Body – The annual report may be completed by the designated lobbyist/designated public lobbyist OR a representative/employee of the Principal/Public Body who can attest to the truthfulness of the document.




2017 Annual Report Jan 1, 2017 through Dec 31, 2017

Jan 1, 2018 and Mar 1, 2018

2018 Annual Report

Jan 1, 2018 through Dec 31, 2018

Jan 1, 2019 and Mar 1, 2019

How to Register for Electronic Filing

Currently the only reports that may be filed electronically are the lobbyist quarterly expense reports.

  1. Print off the E.L.F. Registration form
  2. Create your username and password online
  3. Write down your activation code on the E.L.F. Registration form
  4. Click Create Account
  5. Submit your completed E.L.F. Registration form after it has been signed and notarized
  6. After the Secretary of State’s office has entered your activation code you will receive a confirmation email


A principal/public body that no longer engages in lobbying may submit a termination statement with the Secretary of State’s Office. A termination statement must include the principal/public body's final annual report.

Once the principal or public body submits the termination statement, all associated lobbyists will become inactive until their registration expires, unless the lobbyist is actively registered with other principal/public bodies.

Failure to renew your registration will not automatically terminate you as a Principal, Public Body or Lobbyist. A termination statement and the final expenditure report are still required to be filed.