Out-of-State Landlord Agents for Service

If a landlord manages property in Arizona, but is not based in Arizona, that landlord may file an “agent for service” with our office. An agent for service accepts services of process on behalf of the Out-of-State Landlord, and can be an individual person or a corporation per Arizona Revised Statute § 33-1309(B). The agent for service must be in Arizona.

What to File

Document to File: Registration Application (PDF)

Filing Fee: None

Filing Length: A listing will remain valid until amended or cancelled.

Processing time: 5 days

Filing Tips

  • Our office is unable to provide legal advice regarding any landlord-tenant disagreements. Please consult an attorney or legal aid for all legal questions.
  • A copy of the Residential Landlord and Tenant Act can be requested from the Department of Housing. A copy of the Mobile Home Parks Residential Landlord and Tenant Act can be requested from the Department of Fire, Building and Life Safety.
  • The public listing search is updated during the first and third week of the month. If no applications are received, the public listing will not be updated.
  • Copies of received applications can be requested with a Public Record Request Form (PDF). Plain copies of applications on file are 10 cents per page, and include $3 extra per request if you require certified copies. An application is kept on file for 5 years after it has been filed, superseded or made obsolete.
  • If you have any questions, please call us at 602-542-6187 or 1-800-458-5842

Where to File

Filing By Mail

Secretary of State
Attn: Out of State Landlords
1700 W. Washington Street, Fl. 7
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2808

In-Person Filing - Phoenix Office

State Capitol Executive Tower
1700 W. Washington Street
Suite 220

In-Person Filing - Tucson Office

Arizona State Complex Building
400 West Congress
First Floor, Suite 141